Congratulations, new Dietrich School students! We're excited to welcome you on campus this summer. There are a few things you need to know in order to make sure you are set up for your PittStart advising appointment.
- Beginning in early May, information and instructions regarding course enrollment will be emailed to you from the Dietrich School Advising Center AFTER you have registered for your PittStart session.
- You will need to complete the Dietrich School First-Year Online Orientation and enroll in your fall term classes PRIOR to attending your PittStart session. The Online Orientation, located in CourseWeb, will provide you with many resources that are essential and valuable for incoming first-year students. You will have access to the information in CourseWeb until the Fall 2018 Semester begins. In the fall 2018 semester and beyond, an Enrollment Resources page will be available on the Advising Center website.
- Assignment of the PittStart individual advising appointments will occur during the 11:30 a.m. - 12:30 p.m. Dietrich School of Arts and Sciences Group Session on Day One of PittStart. Individual advising appointments cannot be scheduled in advance.
First of all...don't panic! Placement Exams are simply tools that help to determine the courses that are your most appropriate starting points for various subjects. Your success is important to us, and that means registering for classes in which you will have every opportunity to perform well and learn.
- Beginning May 1, Dietrich School students should complete online placement exams as soon as possible and well in advance of your scheduled PittStart session.
- IMPORTANT: In many cases, a placement exam score must be recorded before you can register for a course.
- Carefully read the guidelines in the grid below so that you can determine which placement exams apply to you.
- If you have questions about placement exams, contact the Dietrich School Advising Center at 412-624-6444.
Please note: Having completed three years of high school study of a second language (other than English) with a grade of B or better in each course exempts you from the language requirement.
Placement Exam Guidelines for Dietrich School Students
|Exam||Required||Location||Time||Take this exam if...|
*There is a $25 fee for taking the ALEKS Math Placement Exam
|Yes||Online||90 min.||You plan to enroll in a math course beyond the level of college algebra (MATH 0031), such as Preparation for Scientific Calculus (MATH 0200), Business Calculus (MATH 0120), Analytical Geometry and Calculus 1 (MATH 0220), or Finite Mathematics (MATH 0400) and have not earned college credit for the prerequisite course, regardless of your Math SAT or Math ACT score.
Get detailed information about this exam.
|Music Theory||No||On Campus Day One of PittStart||60 min.||You are considering a major or minor in music. A sufficient score will exempt you from the required course for music majors and minors - Music 0100 Fundamentals of Western Music.|
|French||No||Online||60 min.||You wish to continue studying the same foreign language you have previously studied, have spoken at home, or have learned abroad.|
|German||No||Online||60 min.||You wish to continue studying the same foreign language you have previously studied, have spoken at home, or have learned abroad.|
|Italian||No||Online||60 min.||You wish to continue studying the same foreign language you have previously studied, have spoken at home, or have learned abroad.|
|Latin||No||On Campus Day One of PittStart||60 min.|
|Portuguese||No||On Campus Day One of PittStart||60 min.|
|Russian||No||On Campus Day One of PittStart||60 min.|
|Spanish||No||Online||60 min.||You wish to continue studying the same foreign language you have previously studied, have spoken at home, or have learned abroad.
For specific details about determining placement in college level Spanish classes, please click here.
All students taking the online Spanish exam must also sign up for a Spanish oral interview that will take place during your PittStart session. Starting May 1, you can schedule an interview online.
For placement testing in other languages offered at Pitt, please contact the language faculty directly.